In 1929, a committee was formed by the Chamber of Commerce to choose a site for a permanent commercial airport. After considerable study, the current site was chosen. As a result of lobbying in Washington, the federal government helped Santa Barbara's dream of an airport to materialize. In February 1941 the local electorate approved a $149,000 bond issue for the purchase of the land with construction beginning soon thereafter. It was at this time that an Airport Commission was formed.